I don't know if these stories really have much of a point or not, but I was thinking about them today and decided to record them for record keeping sake.
I'm not quite sure how old I was when this happened, but in searching for a picture to go with this, I found that the item in the story was sold starting in 1976, so I was at least 5. I found the pictures on ebay and they were listed as 'vintage' pins. Somehow that makes me feel REALLY old!!
In my younger years my Bingham cousins drew names and gave a Christmas gift to the cousin whose name we drew out. This particular year my cousin Greg had my name. I could NOT wait to open the present from him! So when an opportune time presented itself, I sneaked the present to my bedroom and planned to just peek. However, because it was small and mostly covered with tape, doing so became impossible and I had to open it all the way. It was one of those cute Avon pins with perfume in the back. {anyone remember those?} I was thrilled.
But now I had a problem. I couldn't just start sporting the pin--too many questions would be asked. And I thought the same problem would arise if I hid it and waited until after Christmas to wear it (however, in hind sight that would have been the best solution because I could have just told my busy mom that Greg gave it to me for Christmas if she asked and she probably would not have thought twice about it.) But my little 5-6 year brain didn't have that kind of logic so I came up with a better solution! I re-wrapped it. And then I had a stroke of luck: in the bottom of the wrapping box I found a tag that said, "To: Darcee From: Santa". Genius!
This presented yet another problem and that was how to get it under the tree on Christmas morning. I finally decided to hide it under the Christmas tree skirt in the back on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning came and after all of the presents were opened, I still hadn't been handed my little Jack in the Box pin present. I asked my dad, "Is that really ALL of the presents? There aren't any hidden somewhere?" He looked at me strangely since hiding presents was not something that was done in that house and since it was obvious that there were no more presents under the tree. So I did the only thing I thought there was left to do: sat around and waited until everyone left the room and went and got the present and ran down to my room. I opened it up and put it on.
Later in the day my mom asked where I got the pin from. There was only one answer really, "Santa!" When she said that she didn't remember Santa giving me that I said, "It was hidden in the back of the tree under the Christmas tree skirt." And lucky for me, she couldn't say anything without revealing her secret. Whew!
I had learned from the previous experience to not be a present peeker--it just created too many problems! But one other year when I was a little older I was home sick from school in December. I went up to the kitchen to get something to drink and on complete accident I saw my mom's Christmas list. I was getting a record player. I also knew what everyone else was getting. That ended up being my very worst Christmas ever--not a single surprise. I was so disappointed even though I liked my record player.
That is the story I always tell my kids---if they want to sneak and peek and find things, they can, but they won't like Christmas as much. It's in their ball park. Even so, I wonder how many peekers we've had in our room this year since we've been too casual and left our Amazon orders sitting in untaped boxes begging for access. Hmmm. . . hope they aren't too disappointed on Christmas! (and maybe I should get out some packing tape!)
ps. . . added some pictures and notes in the post below
3 comments:
I remember those pins! My mom sold Avon for many years, so we had our share of gifts from that company.
I remember those pins too! I can't believe you still have it to take a picture of it. Oh wait, it's only been a couple of years since you were 6, right? And, I'm right with you on the "Christmas is more fun if it's a surprise" idea.
Okay, I have a vague memory of that pin and I don't think it is too positive. Did someone get into and waste all the perfume or something? (I think maybe I was blamed for it or something??) I think I was very jealous that I did not have one too (But it wasn't me who took all the perfume--to set the record straight if needed =)=)=)!
Post a Comment