Friday, June 12, 2009

Lacrosse and Comfort Zones

We signed Chan up for lacrosse this year. . . when we did, I knew nothing about the sport except you played with some sort of stick. Well, I've learned a few things. . . . First you need some gear: shoulder pads, elbow pads, ginormous gloves, a helmet, a mouth guard and a stick. . . .not just any kind of stick, it has to be metal. Also, in lacrosse it's okay for a mom to yell from the sidelines "Hit him!" "Check him!" and it's okay for the boy to do it! And a smart mom puts red tape on her son's helmet so she can tell which one he is. (I haven't been smart yet!)But it's been a very fun sport to watch. The first game was especially fun because Joe and Kelsie joined us and the weather was great. Another bonus was the nearby playground for Tess. . . however, she still needed to be watched!! This is what we noticed from a little too far away; in my opinion, she is a little too little to be doing that kind of ladder; apparently that opinion is not shared by her.The second lacrosse game was also awesome because there was a rainbow (that should clue you in as to how dry we were not), it was Chandler's birthday and he scored 3 goals. Awesome for him! Too bad I forgot my camera. Aside from not getting those goals photographed, I wish I would have had my camera for Tess. Since there was not a playground close by, she had to make fun some other way. . .and so she went up to everyone on the side line and touched their knee and stared in their faces until they talked to her. She asked one older man "Are you a grandpa?" When he said he was she said, "My grandpa lives in Preston." After talking to them for a while, (it was a couple) she moved on. One stop she insisted that a baby take his binki. Another spectator had to hold her water bottle. Finally she found a nice little family who gave her enough attention that she decided she could join them permanently. She climbed on the mom's lap (she already had 2 other kids on there) while the mom held a blanket over their heads to keep them dry. Tom and I can't figure out where she comes from. Her sociality is NOT our mold! I blame his dad. He blames mine. Cache says she should join Facebook. In the mean time, her parent's comfort zones are being challenged and we are meeting people we otherwise would not. I guess this is a good thing.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

According to my sisters who have both had lacrosse-playing boys, they say the game is just an excuse for boys to hit each other with sticks legally! Enjoy the season.

Beckstrand7 said...

Love it! Especially the built in entertainment for Tessa! :)

Suzanne said...

I really think Tessa and my Drew come from the same mold. Love the ladder rungs she was trying. Drew has tried those, too, with me underneath as a safety net. And the one time he snuck without me he fell six feet.

He loves to talk to people, too. Makes me feel like I should be more social when it's my two year old saying "Hi" and "How are you" to random people around us at the store, pool, etc. Mary Ellen Edmunds said to do one thing a day that scares you to death (takes you out of your comfort zone). Isn't it great when our kids do it for us?