This will be quite long, so I hope you'll read to the very end and then want to join the challenge.
In the June Ensign, I read and reread President Eyring's message. It was on Saftey in Counsel and how when we follow the prophet, we are kept out of harm's way. I loved it. It made so much sense. The examples he used struck a loud chord with me. It made me have greater desires to live right. It made me want to work harder to keep my family safe. It bouyed me up because it set a *clear* and a sure way for us to stay safe from the evils in the world.
To say it caught my interest when the July Ensign came and I saw that President Uchtdorf's message was on following the prophet is an understatement. WOW. Two in a row, How vitally important this must be for us at this time. So I sat up and paid attention and was ready when August's Ensign came with President Monson's counsel. I was set to follow. His message was about making the best with TODAY. He talked about how fragile life is and how we need to be about doing good. As our cute 16 year old home teacher read to us from this article on Sunday I felt a stronger urging to follow this counsel.
To quote President Monson: "How fragile life, how certain death. We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so I ask, “What are we doing with today?”
There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
Let us ask ourselves the questions: “Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need?” What a formula for happiness! What a prescription for contentment, for inner peace—to have inspired gratitude in another human being. Our opportunities to give of ourselves are indeed limitless, but they are also perishable."
As these quotes were being read to us on Sunday, I felt prompted that I need to do even better. I need to give of myself more. So I'm going to be looking for more ways to bless others life with kindness. And then an idea came to me that involves you, my readers. I would like to challenge you to do at least one random act of kindness during the next week. It can be at school, at work, at home, at the grocery store, in a parking lot, at church, on the freeway. . . It can be anything from going out of your way to help someone pick up something dropped, to paying for someone's meal behind you, to pulling weeds, to baking cookies, to making a phone call to someone you need to reconnect with. . . it can be anything that shows kindness and 'inspires gratitude in another human being'. It can cost you no time or money, or it can. It is up to you. Listen and pray for inspiration and you'll know who to help and how.
Then I want to hear about it. Leave me a comment sometime (or multiple times) before September 15 telling me what you did. One reason I want to do this is it will give me new ideas and inspire me to reach out in new ways. I will choose a few acts I want to repeat in my own life. If I choose your act of kindness to repeat, I will put you in a drawing for a prize. If you win, you will receive a prize of your own choosing. It will be something I can make and send to you. It can be anything from a mini album, a scrapbook page, a dozen thank you notes, a 'white' board etc. (keep it within reason, however! If you need ideas of things I can make, look through my blog archives to find something.) Christmas is coming so keep in mind that if you don't want anything for yourself, you might need a small gift for a friend or a sister or teacher. Or maybe you just want a batch of my yummy rolls or some cookies. I'm even willing to send overseas (well, except the baked goods :) as I know I've got 5 or so regular overseas readers).
And, definitely, of course, keep in mind that while you are completing random acts of kindness, you are not only blessing others lives, you are saving your own--because it is counsel from the prophet and there is safety in counsel! Happy kindness spreading!!(Final disclaimer: part of this idea came from another blogger a year or so ago so I can't claim the idea in its entirety.)
8 comments:
After reading, I went and gave my husband a hug and told him that I loved him. I think he needed that tonight.
I like the insight that both of President Monson's counselors have empahsized following the prophet. Then, I like that you paid special attention to the message of President Monson. Your insight makes me want to re read the First Presidency message for clues on how I can, too, more completely follow the Lord's mouthpeice. It's like a treasure hunt, kind of--
Great insights, Darcee. I enjoy you so much. You do so much good and have such a bright, smart mind.
I once read a book about secret giving and one stuck with me. It is simply not taking the closest parking place. Leave it for someone else and perhaps someone with a great need will get. Neither you or he will ever know.
Great thoughts Darcee. This is definitely an area that I need to improve in my life. I sometimes come up with GRAND GREAT things in theory and then end up not doing them because the idea is overwhelming. I am trying to see the small things that truly is sometimes the most important. I took a sister that I visit teach a jar of homemade jam because she just got an Amish Friendship Bread start. I thought she'd enjoy jam with her bread. It was so easy, but she expressed to Marlow last night how much she enjoyed it.
Aunt Kaye
As I was reading your post I thought of the chapter of from "The Teachings of Joseph Smith" that I just listened to this morning about obedience. One of the questions at the end struck me (in fact the entire chapter was excellent!). It asked if there was a command from the prophet or from the Holy Ghost that I have not heeded. And a prompting that I had recently came clearly to my mind that I have not done! I need to get busy. I will let you know...
The other day Dennis and I were in a store and someone was giving free samples. The lady asked a customer who was passing if she would like one and the young lady she asked responded so graciously. I knew I could take a lesson from the young lady's attitude and warmth.
I love reading your blog! I keep all your quotes in a notebook and refer to them when I need a pick-me up. You inspired me to do something nice. Thanks for the reminder. I made a big batch of freezer jam and took some to neighbors. It's fun because not a lot of people in Oklahoma have ever had freezer jam. Hope they like it. Thanks for all your inspirational thoughts!
I saw my son Zach do something this morning that really impressed me. After I had dropped he and Blake off, I took a last look at them as I drove out of the parking lot and could only see Blake. I looked all over for Zach and then spotted him next to his band teacher. His arms, which were pretty full when he got out of the car, were now overloaded with things as he helped carry things in for his teacher. It was not something he had to do but something he did because that's the type of boy he is. He inspired me to look for the small occasions and look for ways to help lighten the load of others! Great post!
Kendi
Yesterday Dennis came upon a man who had lost his load from his trailer (shelving or something) and it was all over the road. He stopped and helped him get it picked up. I thought that was very nice of him. Another thing Dennis does: everytime we go to a store he gathers up the shopping carts that people leave around the parking lot and either puts them in the corrals or takes them in the store.
There are some guys (brothers)in my ward and they alway, *always* stop to help people on the road. One of their wives says she just plans to leave early because if he sees someone, he will be pulling over whether they have time for it or not.
Post a Comment