Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Considerations on Joy and Prosperity

Joy = Prosperity
Prosperity = Joy

Are these true statements? I have been pondering these ideas.

Consider these altered scriptures (click on link to see original)

“And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall [have joy], and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands.” (1Nephi 2:20)

“. . . we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and [make joyous] those who put their trust in him.” (Helaman 12:1)

“And now I, Mormon, would that ye should know that the people had multiplied, insomuch that they were spread upon all the face of the land, and that they had become exceedingly rich, because of their [joy] in Christ.” (4 Nephi 1:23)

In my studies, I discovered that the words prosper and prosperity were more interchangeable with joy than joy was with prosperity. Consider this:

“Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have [prosperity].” (2 Nephi 2:25)

That sounds absolutely ludicrous by the world’s definition of prosperity. And in reading the scriptures on joy, they all felt as ridiculous with the substitution. But in my searching I came upon this talk by Elder Wirthlin called “The Abundant Life”. It caught my attention because abundance can be equivalent to prosperity. Here are a few quotes from his talk.

“The abundant life is a spiritual life.”

“The abundant life does not come to us packaged and ready-made. It’s not something we can order and expect to find delivered with the afternoon mail. It does not come without hardship or sorrow. It comes through faith, hope charity.”

The abundant life is within our reach if only we will drink deeply of living water, fill our hearts with love, and create of our lives a masterpiece.”

As I was pondering that, I remembered a talk by Elder Maxwell about us receiving Heavenly Father’s fulness—everything God has to offer us. (Is that not prosperity?) He quoted D&C 93:20.

“For if you keep my commandments you shall receive of his fulness, and be glorified in me as I am in the Father; therefore, I say unto you, you shall receive grace for grace.”

In conclusion, consider implications on these altered scriptures with the definition of prosperity being an abundant (spiritual) life or the fulness received because of righteousness.

“If thou shalt ask, thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things—that which bringeth [prosperity], that which bringeth life eternal.” (D&C 42:61)

And whoso is found a faithful, a just, and a wise steward shall enter into the [prosperity] of his Lord, and shall inherit eternal life. (D&C 51:19)

So what is your conclusion? Does Joy = Prosperity? Does Prosperity = Joy? I would love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The expansion of the meaning of prosperity to mean any good thing, makes it a good translation. If we consider prosparity to be just earthly substance then it falls far short in it being equilivant to joy. Dad

Unknown said...

I love your thoughts. I believe that when we prosper spiritually, we are filled with peace, which then fills our hearts with gratitude and we rejoice in His love and interest in us. Truly this is to JOY!

Beckstrand7 said...

I agree with your dad & Danna. I would also clarify that when we find that true joy, we find satisfaction in "sufficiency". Also commonly, if we allow ourselves to be open to that form of prosperity, we will draw to us by our joyful, positive attitude more than enough earthly prosperity as well! I think too many of us don't allow it, by closing our minds to the possiblity. Joy and heavenly prosperity are infinitely of more worth than earthly prosperity, of course! Thanks for sharing the ?.